Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud (EC2) is the web service that is pioneering Cloud Computing by providing resizable compute capacity in the Cloud. It gives any developer complete control of their computing resources and lets them run on Amazon’s proven computing environment. We are continuing to build the team in order to expand on our feature set and manage our rapidly increasing scale.
The EC2 Compute Team in Cape Town owns the systems that are at the core of EC2. These systems are responsible for EC2 instance provisioning and managing the life cycles of instances, for example, the Run/Stop/Start/TerminateInstances APIs and a number of instance-related APIs for modifying instance attributes and describing these resources. These systems operate at a global scale and need to be highly available and responsive. This work requires innovative solutions for building complex APIs that orchestrate many dependencies synchronously and asynchronously while remaining highly available when the system is experiencing high loads. If you like challenges and solving unique problems at large scale within a distributed system environment this is the team for you.
As a Software Development Engineer (SDE) in the Compute Team you will contribute to a wide range of projects in a highly collaborative environment. The projects range from adding new features to EC2, to improving the reliability and scalability of our systems, to re-architecting/decoupling our systems so that features can be delivered more rapidly. You will become part of an industry-leading engineering team solving challenging problems at massive scale.
Contact us if you are keen to become part of the global cloud computing revolution. If you’re not from Cape Town, we offer comprehensive relocation as a part of our package. Amazon is one of the leading international software companies, and Cape Town is one of the most beautiful cities in the world, making this an unparalleled opportunity.
We are busy expanding our team and have multiple positions available.
· Design, implement and deploy mission-critical systems that work at the scale of the EC2 fleet
· Design, implement and deploy new features for EC2 instances
· Design, implement and deploy new solutions that enable rapid feature delivery for complex APIs
· Improve and optimize the reliability and performance of existing systems
· Ensure the smooth and stable operation of the team’s services
· Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or related field
· 3+ years of professional experience in software development
· Computer Science fundamentals in object-oriented design
· Computer Science fundamentals in data structures
· Computer Science fundamentals in algorithm design, problem solving, and complexity analysis
· Proficiency in at least one modern programming language such as C++, C#, Java, Python or Ruby
· Clear and professional communication skills
· A post-graduate degree in Computer Science or related field
· 5+ years of professional experience in software development
· Experience with developing in a Linux environment
· Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
· Experience in building complex software systems that have been successfully delivered to customers
· Experience in communicating with users, other technical teams, and senior management to collect requirements, describe software product features and technical designs
· Experience in mentoring junior software engineers to improve their skills, and make them more effective, product software engineers
· Hands-on expertise in many disparate technologies, typically ranging from front-end user interfaces through to back-end systems and all points in between
Amazon is an equal opportunities employer, and we value your passion to discover, invent, simplify and build. We welcome applications from all members of society irrespective of age, sex, disability, sexual orientation, race, religion or belief. Amazon is strongly committed to diversity within its community and especially welcomes applications from South African citizens who are members of designated groups who may contribute to Employment Equity within the workplace and the further diversification of ideas. In this regard, the relevant laws and principles associated with Employment Equity will be considered when appointing potential candidates. We are required by law to verify your ability to work lawfully in South Africa. Amazon requires that you submit a copy of either your identity document or your passport and any applicable work permit if you are a foreign national, along with an updated curriculum vitae.